Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Here's the deal. Almost three weeks into this new adventure I'm beginning to see that we as people, have no reason to stay penned up as we are, if we're unhappy or just feel the need to change. That'll hopefully explain itself somewhere in my blog.
Last week I saw with my own eyes, snow caped mountains. I really cannot explain how beautiful they were, but what's remarkable is that I was driving down that same road everyday for 1 week and and I didn't see the mountains right in front my face. Then one day it was clear enough, and I saw that we were surrounded by them. It can be sunny in the city and you still won't be able to see them. The moisture from the Puget Sound rises quickly and masks them from sight.
But on that day, the big daddy of them all, Mount Rainier showed its face






It was an extremely impressive sight. We took this from the park on the north side of the Boeing Field. We only stood there for 10 minutes in awe. Mount Rainier by the Indians is called mother earth. They believed that she watched over them and followed them. According to the locals the mountain looks closer or further away depending on atmospheric conditions in different areas, which may be why the Indians thought the mountain was following them. As sweet as the story is, and as beautiful as this natural wonder is, I'll be living 150 miles north of this volcano, so no matter what mother nature decides to do, it won't include me.

One night while we were settled at home, we decided to check out the best view in Seattle, what else but Seattle itself. So I searched on the internet for the best views of the city. We found a place called Kelly Park which promised to offer us a classic view of the city, especially at night. I plugged it into my trusty GPS and it was only 1.6 miles away!!! What? Two blocks away from me is the Puget Sound, which means I'm almost at sea level, and 1.6 miles away is the best view in Seattle? Well they weren't lying and again we were awestruck by the view.








Nice huh, and the people up here, we're told don't lock their doors, because its a mean hill to get up here as you can imagine.

One interesting and cool thing about Seattle is that the buses run partly off the powergrid. One day I'll post a photo but their are two large moving polls that connect to the powergrid and turn and twist as the bus moves. Now only local buses have this capability, the interstate buses do not.

I've been harping about a few things in the city but I should mention a few things about Boeing. Honestly almost anything I can say about my job in particular is proprietory. I'm probably going to have to give the tourist version later on with lots of photos. So far I'm spending a lot of time in meetings and working on Catia. Catia for those who don't know is a 3D modelling program for engineers. I've got a lot of classes next week, which I look forward to, and a composite course at the University of Washington next semester. Its basically the same as most jobs where I'm assigned a mentor and I have to work out my own learning plan despite their best intentions.

On a side note, yesterday I finally invested in two companies that I have been following for some time, Alibaba.com, the largest asian business to business website, cost me $1.75 per share, and Activision at $26.60 per share, the soon to be leader in pc and console video games. We'll see wht the market has in store for us, these are long term stocks for me.

Well Everyone take care, thanks for reading, and I'll be keeping in touch.

No comments: