Saturday, April 5, 2008

Pike's Place

Hi everyone. Sorry about the long delay in posts. I've been in class, looking for places and taking care of other business. I wanted to talk about Pike's Place Market a little and some of the other things we've found here.

Pike's Place was interesting and lively, but the fish market was a bit disappointing. I've been there about 5 or 6 times now, because its a great place for food, and chillin out. When everyone thinks of Pike's place, they think of the fish market. There are actually 3 fish markets there. Only one of them throws fish. Maybe I am just not there at the right time, but Priscilla and I have only seen about one fish fly there. Even that wasn't so impressive. I even thought, I'd buy a big fish, just so I could photograph the throw....but at 24.99 a pound, I would be a sucker to do such a thing.


This is a little snapshot of the Pike's Place Fish Co. which is the major toursit attraction at the market. It is extremely expensive, I saw some type of crab priced for $190, which is why a lot of people stand around waiting to take photos and not buying much. But the variety and quality of the seafood is exceptional. Here's a really great looking selection at one of the other fish markets. The fish market prices vary by 3-4 dollars, but they all emphasize their ability to ship your selection anywhere, within two days.




One way in which the market's management has been able to rip people off, I mean make money is that they sell the tiles on the market floor. For a fair price, you can have your name engraved into one of the tiles on the market floor, and then have thousands of people step all over it. I suppose the selling point is that its forever. Maybe 10,000 years from now, when they excavate the place, they'll think you were someone important. It may have romantic potential though. LOL or not.


There's also a huge assorment of dried wild flowers at several spots in the market. Apparently you don't have to throw them away. I mentioned this because when I think of dry I think brown and brittle, but these flowers are full of color and don't seem to be wilting. Personally I would have done a crazy thing like put them in water. Luckily I know someone who already tried that.

One quality I like about it, is its diversity. On one end I can get a Japanese calligrapher to paint me a personalized picture, on another end I can get a homemade donut and pickup some almond honey to go with it. Honey is very plentiful in the market, and as my mind wandered, I couldn't help but ask myself the question, is honey a bee's ____? So is the honeycomb just a large bee toilet?

Pike's is really a great place to just visit a few times. As a tourist attraction, one visit is probably enough. If I were living in the city, I'd probably visit it often, since it can be a great place to just hang out.

Seattle is big on public transportation. They are also big on hippies and as a result the green movement. One of things which is really impressive, is that they were able to integrate hybrid technology into their public transportation system. Some of the buses that run local routes in the city run right off the power grid. The buses have these massive antenna that can rotate, which are connected to the powerlines over the whole route of the bus. I don't know how much energy it saves, but I'm guessing it saves on emissions and fuel costs in the long term. With rising gas prices, someone must be getting a few pats on the back for making this move prior to the oil price spike.



Well that's it for now, I'll post two or three other photos on here that I took over the last two weeks. I hope everyone is doing well. Take it easy.

Oh by the way I think you can click on most pictures I post for a better view

No comments: